Co-Vice Presidents for Public Policy
Susan Burk & Denise Murden
It is time to vote again! Democratic and Republic Primary Elections will be held on June 8. Virginia voters can vote in one or the other party’s primary, but not both.
Members are encouraged to vote and make the calendar below for these upcoming Virginia elections available to other individuals and groups. Be sure to remind them that registering to vote and updating voter registration are ongoing and important civic duties.
The calendar is hyperlinked, providing more information about the voting process and lists of candidates.
Voting absentee in person or by mail as well as in-person on Election Day are all available options for voting in these elections. The deadlines for doing so are all listed on the calendars.
Let’s Get Out the Vote!
Find your Legislator. Fill out the REPORT BACK FORM after your calls.
Note: We are focused on paid sick leave during the recent 2021 session, but encourage you to contact your delegate/senator to remind them about the gender pay gap and contribution of measures to close it, including banning questions about salary history, to strengthen economic security for women and families. Salary History Fact Sheet
January 21, 2020: The American Association of University Women (AAUW) is proud to announce its gender policy agenda, which outlines our priority issues for the 2020 election season. As a non-partisan organization, AAUW does not endorse specific candidates, but throughout our 140-year history, we have been a staunch advocate for policies that improve the lives of girls, women and their families. Here’s what AAUW would like to see implemented to advance gender equality in education and the workplace. Find the Gender Policy Agenda here.
2020-2022 AAUW of Virginia PUBLIC POLICY PRIORITIES
Equality, Individual Rights, and Social Justice
- Support additional actions, as required, so that the ERA becomes the 28th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
- Support access to civil and constitutional rights, including affirmative action and voting rights
- Support measures to ensure fair, nonpartisan redistricting, and transparency in government
- Support self-determination of women’s health decisions, including reproductive rights
- Assure freedom from violence and fear of violence, including bullying, hate crimes, sexual harassment, and human trafficking
- Advocate for diversity and inclusion as mission-based values
- Support adoption of measures to close the gender pay gap and promote fairness in compensation and benefits
- Support equitable access and advancement in employment and leadership opportunities for women
- Advocate for quality, affordable health care and family planning services, dependent care, and paid family, medical and sick leave
- Support a livable minimum wage standard
- Support Title IX and all other civil rights laws pertaining to education
- Provide adequate and equitable funding for quality public education for all students
- Oppose use of public funds for nonpublic elementary and secondary schools and to charter schools that do not adhere to the civil rights and accountability standards required of other public schools
- Promote and protect programs that meet the educational needs of girls and women at all levels, including STEM fields
- Increase support for and access to affordable higher education for women and disadvantaged populations
Public Policy Resources
- AAUW Action Fund Website
- AAUW Public Policy Priorities
- Title IX
- Legal Advocacy Fund
- AAUW Gender Agenda for 2020 Election
- AAUW Action Fund Congressional Voting Record
Reporting Your AAUW Public Policy Events & Activities
Is your branch holding a public policy advocacy event or activity? The AAUW public policy staff wants to help you make the most of your upcoming advocacy events and activities! Please use this form to share your plans and let them know how they can assist you. Upcoming AAUW Advocacy Activity & Events Form
After your event is over use this form to report your results: Advocacy Event Report Back Form AAUW wants to spotlight all of your amazing work!