AAUW advances equity for women and girls through advocacy, education, and research.
August 26 is Women’s Equality Day
Make an effort to see the film Iron Jawed Angels, being sponsored by Virginia legislators who are supportive of ratifying the ERA in Virginia this year. VAratifyERA, with the assistance of Jane Newell of the Greater Richmond Branch, has worked to arrange these screenings.
CONFIRMED LOCATIONS ARE: Charlottesville, Lord Fairfax Community College Fauquier Campus, NoVA: Fairfax, NoVA: Mt. Vernon, NoVA: Woodbridge/Prince William, Petersburg, Richmond, and Roanoke.
More details will be provided as they become available. RSVPs from attendees are requested. Here is the link to the information: https://varatifyera.org/august-26th-launch/screenings
FEDERAL LOBBY DAY IN WASHINGTON, DC IS SEPTEMBER 27
Watch for details via email and on Facebook.
We appreciate your membership and encourage you to attend upcoming events at an AAUW branch in your neighborhood. Click on Branches for information about a branch near you.
Fifty-four energetic AAUW members from 17 branches in Virginia participated in the Summer Leadership Meeting (SLM) in Harrisonburg. The meeting was held at the brand new Madison Hotel and Shenandoah Valley Conference Center. It was one of the best SLMs ever! All sessions were “whole group” because the information provided by every speaker was vitally important has we move forward in AAUW. The Mayor of Harrisonburg, Deanna R. Reed set the tone perfectly as our keynote speaker. She was fabulous! Here are the important topics that were addressed during the day.
- What’s New in AAUW...Caroline Pickens, AAUW Governance Committee & AAUW-VA Funds Chair
- AAUW-VA Public Policy A Path Forward and the Equal Rights Amendment…Susan Burk & Sylvia Rogers, AAUW-VA Co-VPs for Public Policy
- ERA in Virginia Today…Jane Newell & Trish Wallace, Greater Richmond Branch AAUW
- Equity in Education for Women and Girls: Title IX…Deb Fitzgerald, Chair of Harrisonburg City School Board and member of AAUW, & Heidi Hoover, Title IX Coordinator, Bridgewater College
- Gender Pay Inequity: It’s Math, Not Myth…Sylvia Rogers, Co-Vice President for Public Policy
- Salary Negotiation…Leslie Tourigny, Co-President AAUW-VA
- Archiving Branch Documents…Neola Waller, AAUW Legacy Circle Team, AAUW-VA Historian, & Virginia Beach AAUW President
IF YOU MISSED THE MEETING, CHECK OUT THE PHOTOS HERE!